Saturday, April 22, 2017

Week 10: Getting Started

I started my suture project on Thursday! After three trips to three different grocery stores, I figured it is nearly impossible to find pork belly anywhere near me, so I improvised with sliced pork with a thick layer of fat on top. It was important to suture something similar to human skin and the layer of muscle underneath, so this made do. To my surprise, I found the layer of fat hard to pass a needle through, so it definitely did a good job simulating skin. 

To start, I cut the pork into three pieces and made a cut in the middle of each. With each suture, I closed the incisions I made using an intradermal suturing technique. I must say, as my first time suturing pork, I am proud of how it turned out...!  

Vicryl (left), Monocryl (middle), and Control (right)
All I have to do now is wait for two more days to remove the sutures and plate them!

No comments:

Post a Comment