Saturday, April 22, 2017

Thoracoscopic Pericardial Window

This week in the OR, I watched a few different surgeries, but I want to focus on the thoracoscopy.

Thoracoscopy

The patient presented with pericardial effusion which is an abnormal build up of fluid around the heart (pictured below).



In order to relieve the pressure and drain the fluid, Dr. Patel performed a thoracoscopy to create a pericardial window (a hole in the pericardium). A drain was placed in the pericardial window to remove excess fluid after surgery. Talcum power was then sprayed around the lungs to prevent this problem from returning. The powder induces an inflammatory reaction which causes the lungs to stick to the inner surface of the chest, leaving no room for fluid build up.

Next week, I will plate the sutures for my suture project and post about the results!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shreya! I was wondering, what is the recovery like for a patient who undergoes thoracoscopy?

    ReplyDelete