Sunday, April 16, 2017

Previous Research

When deciding to pursue this new and revised project, I found studies and research papers regarding the instance of infection for monofilament and braided sutures. I will reference these papers, namely the following, during my experiment.

The scientific article that really caught my attention is titled "Bacterial Adherence to Surgical Sutures" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1345192/pdf/annsurg00209-0047.pdf). This article considers and studies that bacterial adherence patterns on braided and monofilament sutures. In the abstract, it states that "nylon bound the least bacteria while bacterial adherence to braided sutures was five to eight folds higher" (they used nylon as an example because it is also a monofilament suture). This is what caught my attention right away, because in cardiac surgery, both monocryl and braided vicryl are commonly used to close the skin. Why would we use braided sutures to close the skin when bacteria adhere to them more frequently and increase the chance of infection? This is what I hope to explore in the last couple of weeks of our research projects. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment