Thursday, April 13, 2017

Week 9: Vicryl Sutures

Since I changed a few things for my suture project, I am going to post this week about certain aspects of my new idea. In this post, I will talk a bit about Monofilament Vicryl (Monocryl) and Braided Vicryl sutures.

Sutures I will used for my project

I will be using size 4-0 in the Monocryl sutures and size 3-0 in Braided Vicryl because these are the two most common types of sutures used for skin closure. Generally, size 3-0 and 4-0 are the preferable sizes for skin closure because they can withstand the amount of tension put on the skin. Below is a helpful guide to understanding suture sizes:



4-0 Monocryl is a monofilament suture, which means it may be tougher to knot and have a lower knot holding security, unlike 3-0 Braided Vicryl. However, it incites a very low tissue reaction and is thought to harbor less bacteria, so it is great for skin closure (lowers risk of skin irritation, and thus infection). 

Both are absorbable sutures which means they will "dissolve" in the skin as the wound heals. 3-0 Braided will break down anytime between 56-70 days while 4-0 Monocryl will take around 90-120 days. The skin will need a couple of months to thicken and heal completely, but by the time the sutures break down, it will be strong enough to remain closed and resist tearing. 

In my experiment, I will do an intradermal stitch which is used to close the skin after surgery. This type of stitch secures the edges of the wound (chosen mostly for cosmetic and healing purposes).

Intradermal stitch







No comments:

Post a Comment