Saturday, March 11, 2017

Empyema Returns

Today, I observed a left chest empyema. Again, empyema is a condition where pus builds up in the chest cavity due to an infection (usually pneumonia). This procedure was the same as the one I described in my last post, but in this case, there was less pus in the pleural space and the infection was on the left side. Dr. Patel removed the pus and the patient was given antibiotics to prevent the infection from returning.

Here is a less graphic picture in case some of you did not particularly enjoy the one in my last post :)

Now, lets talk a little bit about monofilament nylon sutures. Nylon sutures pass through tissues easily and hold knots reliably. These sutures also have excellent tensile strength, and maintain their strength over time. While polypropylene can be used to secure grafts in the heart, nylon is generally used to secure chest tubes and close incisions.

Monofilament Nylon Suture

Next week I will go into the details of how I will carry out my suture project, talk about braided polyester sutures, and describe the materials I will be using.

4 comments:

  1. What are you aiming to do with your suture project? All of this seems very interesting and it seems like you are learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post about what I am planning on doing this week. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. How do they get the pus out of the chest cavity? Also, what what would happen if the bacteria causing the infection had antibiotic resistance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pus is drained during surgery and the infected material on the lung (pleural peel) is removed. There are strains of pneumonia that are antibiotic-resistant, but they are only resistant to a few of the many antibiotics that could eliminate the infection. Also, a combination of drugs can be used against antibiotic-resistant strains.

      Delete