Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Introduction

Hi all and welcome to my blog!

My name is Shreya Patel and I am a senior at BASIS Phoenix. Since I have satisfied my graduation requirements, I decided to pursue a research project in my third trimester in order to graduate with high honors and explore what interests me. 

The medical profession is exhilarating, and I am excited to say that for the next few months, I will be observing cardiothoracic surgeries at my project sites: Banner Thunderbird Medical Center and Abrazo West Campus. I will also conduct my own experiment, evaluating the infection rates of Monofilament Polypropylene sutures, Monofilament Nylon sutures, and Braided Polyester sutures when sewn into chicken feet. The chicken feet, with their incorporated sutures, will be put under similar conditions of patients with delayed sternal closure after cardiac surgery. 

By the end of this project, I hope to gain a better understanding of what I would like to pursue in college and as a career. I am confident that my internship will expose me to the intense and gratifying world of surgery, and persuade me to strongly consider a medical profession. 

I would like to thank Dr. Patel for volunteering his time to teach me about what he does every day in the OR. With his help, along with that of my advisor at school, Mrs. Anderson, I know I can get the most out of this internship and the knowledge it has to offer. 

I will blog about my findings and what I have learned from each surgery twice a week. Stay tuned!

Shreya

No comments:

Post a Comment